The Flops

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

I went to an authentic Chinese restaurant near Indianapolis last week. It could have been a total flop. The hosts set out a "sample" menu for us to try (pigs ear, tofu, chicken, etc.). The truth is, I really enjoyed the food (especially the Chow Mei Fun). In fact, I can't wait to take my family to try some authentic Chinese cuisine.

This past week I also tried "new" menu items at home. It was a total failure. Here is what I mean...

Chicken Orzo Soup from Dinner a Love Story. I worked on this for an entire day. It was going to be amazing.  I even "bragged" about it at family dinner. The problem was I did not have enough chicken broth and too much orzo. Introducing, mediocre chicken with lots of orzo and little liquid (salt required).

Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole from Weelicious. This recipe spoke to me because it was a "healthy" version of the classic chicken casserole. With the leaves changing, I was ready to give this recipe a whirl. Let's just say there is a reason that cream of chicken soup is included in the casserole. The healthy version...not worth it.

Baked Chicken Salad from the recipe book of Francie. I have made this recipe a ton. It always turns out great. In fact, it was the first book club dish I ever attempted...talk about nervous (but it was fine:). This time, I added a little extra celery and I put everything in the food processor. The product turned into a watery mess...thanks finely chopped celery. Lesson learned.

Potsticker Soup's On! from Trader Joe's. This final flop could have been a hit. It had the flavor and ease of something that had the potential to be put on the rotation. Sadly, it does not explain that when you are making the soup before putting the children to bed you should not add the pan seared potsickers to the soup because when you finish putting them to bed, you will end up with a mushy mess.

I hope you have enjoyed this version of "The Flops". Needless to say, I am sticking with what I know works this week:)

0 comments: