Acceptance

Monday, February 25, 2013

When I was a teenager I worked at McAlpin's department store in the fragrance department. It was there I met Keith. He was a good looking man with a heart of gold. When he confided to me that he was gay, I finally got to see him not only being himself, but being happy.

I came across this video today and thought of Keith. I sobbed. Everyone should see this. I can't imagine what it would be like to not be accepted for who I love or to be shut out of my family for what makes me happy. I don't ever want my boys to think for a second that they would not be completely and fully loved and supported for what makes them happy. Patrick sent me this. Long, but worth it. It is bold and honest. I can't imagine raising children to hate or hurt someone because they are not exactly like them. I don't ever want my boys to be ignorant or insensitive. I know some things are out of our control, but teaching my boys acceptance will be at the top of my priority list as a parent.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Powerful, moving and oh so true.