Elephant In The Room

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I went to a presentation about public speaking. I don't have plans to make a public speech, but I do know that networking is really the only way you are going to get a job. The presentation was amazing! One of the biggest take aways was slooooooow down. You might think you sound silly, but you really sound sophisticated and put together. So when I go in for my first interview on Thursday {fingers crossed}, I am going to remember this tip.

One of the activities Ms. Wilson asked us to do was to write down our favorite color and our favorite animal along with three adjectives describing both the color and the animal. Orange is my favorite color. I wrote that it is vibrant, happy, and bright. For the animal {you know me, the animal lover}, I wrote elephant. Big, heavy, calm. Ms. Wilson informed the room that the adjectives are how you view yourself. Big and heavy, nice.

The only way to change this view, is to do something about it. So, I am running in the Chicago Marathon on October 12, 2014. There, I said it. Accountability here we go. My training is going great. I have learned that if it is above 86 degrees, there is no reason for me to be outside running. I have explored a ton of trails and parks. I have realized that when I listen to a podcast instead of music my pace slows down dramatically. I have genuinely enjoyed my runs. If anyone is using the Nike Running app, lets be friends!

One morning I was doing a longer run, Patrick and the boys walked up to the Village Center for doughnuts. I was finishing up my run and ran into them on the trail. Wip was riding his bike and noticed it was me running towards him. He jumped off his bike and ran away from me towards Patrick exclaiming "DADDY, DADDY, I FOUND MOMMY!!!!". I noticed all of the other folks near us on the trail chuckling, it was pretty cute.

My running view...not a bad way to start the day.

0 comments: