Orlando United

Friday, July 8, 2016



When people ask me "how are you liking Orlando?", I have sort of a canned response (but it is true). I tell them that it is hands down the BEST place to raise children. The events that have happened in Orlando have been absolutely heartbreaking. I can't imagine being this mom searching for her son. Or this mom receiving texts from her son about being in fear and then finding out the worst.

What is selfishly even more heartbreaking for me is the thought that my children are now being raised in "that city where the mass shooting happened". I hope (and I am hopeful) that this is a town that will rise above that stigma become even stronger.

The outpouring of support from the entire country has been amazing, and interesting. Amazing because there is so much good to be aware of and so many good hearted people in which to surround yourself with. Interesting because while people may feel terrible about the tragedy, not everyone is comfortable that the tragedy happened in a place where the majority of people were part of the LGBT community.

This became apparent when the support hashtags and symbols started showing up on social media. Some were filled with rainbows and others were filled with sympathy for "Orlando". I get that everyone needs to come together especially in times like this, but I am also standing strong to show my children that all you need is to be kind to be accepted into my world. I don't care who you are, where you are from, who you like, or how you were raised. If you are kind, you are welcome.

0 comments: